Cat Diet & Nutrition Advice in Germantown, MD
Nutrition is on the of most important factors of your cat’s health and longevity, and it should be given as much thought and care as picking a top-quality professional veterinarian. When your cat has a healthy, fulfilling diet, it will be getting the right amounts of all the essential nutrients, such as proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and water.
Unfortunately, with so many cat food options available on the market today, it’s difficult to know which one is right for your pet. The experienced veterinarians at Germantown Vet can help you select the best food to improve your cat’s diet and nutrition. Call us today at 240-252-7467240-252-7467 to learn more about choosing a cat food.
How to Pick the Right Cat Food
Here are some good tips on picking the right cat food to improve your pet’s health and wellbeing:
- Fulfill their nutrition requirements – Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they are strict carnivores who rely on the nutrients in animal tissues to meet their specific nutritional requirements. In their natural environment, cats are predators who hunt and eat prey high in protein, with moderate amounts of fat, and an even lower amount of carbohydrates. When purchasing your cat food, look for the “AAFCO statement,” which means that if is a complete and balanced source of nutrients for your pet.
- Read the ingredients – Make sure the first ingredients listed on the cat food are meat, meat byproducts, or seafood. That will help ensure that the amount of nutrients in the food will be able to fulfill your cat’s dietary needs.
- Avoid chemical preservatives – Many times, preservatives are necessary to keep the food edible, however you want to avoid any chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT, and Ethoxyquin as they can be harmful to your pet’s health. Vitamins E and C are great preservatives that are a lot healthier.
If you have any questions about selecting a quality cat food for your furry friend, just give us a call. The experienced veterinarians at Germantown Vet know what your cat needs to live a happy, healthy life and get the proper nutrition.
Choosing Between Dry, Semi-Dry & Canned Cat Food
When choosing your cat’s food, you’ll have to decide between dry, demi-dry, and canned cat food. Many times, your pet will prefer one type over the other, which can make your decision easier. But there are also other factors to consider.
- Dry cat food – The primary advantage of dry cat food is that it is lower in cost and more convenient to all for “free choice” feeding. However, dry food may be less palatable for your cat, and, depending on the quality of the ingredients, it may be more difficult than moist food for your cat to digest. It’s always important to remember that dry food has an expiration date! Many pet owners will buy their cat food in bulk and not realize that it will expire—make sure to check the date before serving it to your pet.
- Semi-dry cat food – In general, semi-dry cat food has meat or meat byproducts as the primary ingredients, and these foods can be more appealing to some cats. However, once the package has been opened, it is subject to spoiling,.
- Canned cat food – Canned cat food has a moisture content of 75 percent, making it a good dietary source of water. Although it tends to be the most expensive type of cat food, it is often the most palatable for your pet. Most canned cat foods feature meat or meat byproducts as their primary ingredients, however you should always be checking the label because not all cat foods are created equal. You want to make sure the nutrition guarantee is still there.
Contact Us for Cat Diet & Nutrition Information in Germantown, MD
If you want to learn more about your cat’s diet and nutrition in the Germantown, MD area, contact us today! We’re here to help you understand your pet’s health needs, so you can both be happy! Call us to schedule your appointment!