Cat Skin Conditions Signs and Treatment in the Germantown, MD Area
Cat skin conditions are among the most common health problems for all breeds, and they can have many causes. These conditions, which are generally uncomfortable and even painful for your feline, vary in their severity, so it is always important to consult with a professional veterinarian if you suspect your cat has a skin condition. The highly experienced veterinarians at Germantown Vet have seen all types of cat skin conditions and can identify and help treat any skin problem your pet may be having.
If you suspect your cat is suffering from a skin condition, contact us today to schedule an appointment right away!
Signs of Cat Skin Conditions
Although cat skin conditions can have numerous causes — and each cat can react differently — there are some signs to look for if you’re concerned your cat may have a skin problem. Look for any combination of the following:
- Redness or discolorations
- Extreme dry skin
- Hair loss
- Pimples, blisters, or pustules
- Scabs, flaking skin, or crustiness
- Unpleasant skin odors
- Excessive scratching and itchiness
If your cat is exhibiting any combination of these symptoms or even just one, it’s incredibly important to schedule an appointment with Germantown Vet. One of our trained professionals will need to examine your cat to determine the exact cause of the skin condition so the proper treatment can be administered.
Common Causes of Cat Skin Conditions
There are many common cat skin conditions, and at Germantown Vet, we have the experience, skills, and equipment to handle even the most difficult skin problems. Some of the most common causes of cat skin conditions include:
- Parasites – This includes fleas, ticks, lice, mange, mites, and more. Any of these parasites can cause severe irritation to your cat, so it’s important to have them treated immediately. Prolonged exposure can lead to excessive skin biting and itching to the point that your cat may begin to do extra harm.
- Diseases – In some cases, fur loss and skin conditions can be a sign of a more significant underlying disease. It’s always important to consult with a professional veterinarian to identify the cause of your cat’s skin condition.
- Allergies – Much like humans, many of our pets suffer from allergies — and your cat is no different! These allergies can range in their severity and be anything from common allergens such as pollen and dust to bugs, food, or other environmental factors.
- Bacteria – When bacteria enter the skin — through a flea bite, hair follicle, etc. — it can cause a pimple or other pustule to form. This can lead to itching and scratching and draw even more bacteria.
- Psychological factors – Try to think back to the last time you were really stressed out at work — did you exhibit any physical reactions? Maybe a breakout, rash, or excessive sweating? Well, your cat can have similar physical responses to troubling psychological factors. If you believe stress, anxiety, or aggression are leading to cat skin conditions, contact us today. Learn more about behavioral issues »
Treating Cat Skin Conditions
Since there are many causes of cat skin conditions, the treatment will vary based on the diagnosis — that’s why it’s vitally important to schedule an appointment at Germantown Vet at the first sign of a skin problem. If you want to learn more about cat skin conditions or set up an appointment with one of our experienced veterinarians, call us today!
Contact us online or by phone at 240-252-7467!