Veterinary Dermatology in Germantown, MD
Skin conditions are one of the most common issues pet owners face with their furry friends. These conditions—which are generally uncomfortable and even painful for your pet—vary in their severity, so it is always important to consult with a professional about veterinary dermatology treatment. The highly experienced veterinarians at Germantown Vet have seen all types of skin conditions and can identify and help treat any skin problem your pet may be having.
If you suspect your dog or cat is suffering from a skin condition, schedule an appointment today by clicking the button to the right or calling (240) 252-7467.
Skin Condition Symptoms
Although skin conditions can have numerous causes—and each pet can react differently—there are some signs to look for if you’re concerned your dog or cat may have a skin problem. Look for any combination of the following:
- Redness or discoloration
- Extreme dry skin
- Hair loss
- Pimples, blisters, or pustules
- Scabs, flaking skin, or crustiness
- Unpleasant skin odor
- Excessive scratching and itchiness
- Anal gland problems (in dogs)
If your pet is exhibiting any combination of these symptoms or even just one, it’s incredibly important to schedule an appointment with one of our veterinary dermatology experts. One of our trained professionals will need to examine your dog or cat to determine the exact cause of the skin condition so the proper treatment can be administered.
Pet Wellness PlansWhen you sign up, your pet will receive top-rated care
through every stage of life.
Common Causes of Skin Conditions
There are many common skin conditions your pet may experience, and at Germantown Vet, we have the experience, skills, and equipment to handle even the most difficult skin problems. Some of the most common causes of skin conditions include:
- Parasites – This includes fleas, ticks, lice, mange, mites, and more. Any of these parasites can cause severe irritation to your pet, so it’s important to have them treated immediately. Prolonged exposure can lead to excessive skin biting and itching, to the point that your pet may begin to do extra harm.
- Disease – In some cases, fur loss and skin conditions can be a sign of a more significant underlying disease. It’s always important to consult with a professional veterinarian to identify the cause of your pet’s skin condition.
- Allergies – Much like humans, many of our pets suffer from allergies—and your dog or cat is no different! These allergies can range in their severity and be anything from common allergens like pollen and dust to bugs, food, or other environmental factors.
- Bacteria – When bacteria enters the skin—through a flea bite, hair follicle, etc.—it can cause a pimple or other pustule to form. This can lead to itching and scratching and draw even more bacteria.
- Psychological factors – Try to think back to the last time you were really stressed out at work—did you exhibit any physical reactions? Maybe a breakout, rash, or excessive sweating? Well, your pet can have similar physical responses to troubling psychological factors. If you believe stress, anxiety, or aggression are leading to skin conditions, contact us today to get veterinary dermatology treatment.
Schedule Your Veterinary Dermatology Appointment
Since there are many causes of skin conditions, the veterinary dermatology treatment will vary based on the diagnosis—that’s why it’s vitally important to schedule an appointment at Germantown Vet at the first sign of a skin problem.
If you want to learn more about veterinary dermatology or set up an appointment with one of our experienced veterinarians, call us today—(240) 252-7467
We proudly provide service in:
Most Trusted Animal Hospital
Bethesda | Clarksburg | Frederick | Gaithersburg | Germantown | Potomac | Rockville | Silver Spring
Bethesda | Clarksburg | Frederick
Gaithersburg | Germantown | Potomac
Rockville | Silver Spring