Treatment for Dog Arthritis in Germantown, Maryland
Arthritis is a degenerative disease that affects one or more joints in the body—and unfortunately, it doesn’t discriminate when it comes to the age, gender, or breed of your dog. In fact, arthritis affects one in every five adult dogs in the United States, and it is one of the most common sources of chronic pain that veterinarians treat.
But how do you know if it’s dog arthritis that is ailing your four-legged friend? Your dog can’t explain what’s wrong with him, so it’s up to you to notice when your pet is exhibiting symptoms of arthritis and bring him into our animal hospital for a diagnosis and treatment plan.
Schedule an appointment today if you believe your pet has dog arthritis—simply call Germantown Vet at 240-252-7467240-252-7467.
Dog Arthritis Symptoms
When it comes to managing dog arthritis, the earlier it is detected and diagnosed, the earlier the treatment and pain management plan can begin for your pet. At Germantown Vet, we’ve treated many dogs with arthritis, and there are a few warning signs to look out for. Some of the signs of dog arthritis that you should be looking out for include:
- Favoring a limb
- Difficulty sitting or standing
- Sleeping more
- Weight gain
- Appearing to have stiff or sore joints
- Hesitancy to run, jump, or climb stairs
- Decreased activity levels
- Less interest in playing
- Attitude or behavioral changes
- Less alert
If your dog is exhibiting any of these symptoms for more than two weeks, schedule an appointment with Germantown Vet right away. The best thing you can do for your pet is to have dog arthritis diagnosed early.
Dog Arthritis Treatment
When it comes to dog arthritis, there are a number of treatments that are available, and they can be combined to create the perfect pain management plan for your pet. Some treatments include:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) – this is the most common form of pharmaceutical treatment for dog arthritis.
- Class 4 therapeutic laser treatment – a cutting edge treatment proven to reduce pain and inflammation as well as speed the healing process—all without the use of drugs.
- Veterinary-strength nutraceuticals – these can help improve the health of your dog’s joints and increase mobility.
- Veterinary acupuncture – this ancient form of medicine can help alleviate pain for your pet. During acupuncture, a certified medical professional inserts thin, sterile needles into specific points on the body to elicit a certain healing response. The location of the points and the depth of the needle help treat certain diseases and pain, and they are virtually painless to administer.
In order to create a complete dog arthritis treatment plan for your pet, you’ll need to schedule an appointment at our animal hospital. Our vets will need to perform a full examination in order to diagnose and assess your dog’s health.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
When it comes to your pet’s health and wellbeing, there’s nothing more important than an early diagnosis for dog arthritis! Bring your pet into Germantown Vet today for a complete examination.
Contact us online or by phone at 240-252-7467 to schedule your dog’s appointment for arthritis treatment.